Thursday, January 2, 2014

Vegetable,beef noodle soup YESS!!!

What better way to deal with a COLD day than homemade soup??

This is what I'm talkin bout!!

Step one: Gather ingredients.
Potatoes, corn, great northern beans, lima beans, carrots[not pictured], noodles, purple hull peas, tomatoes, green beans, beef[not pictured], onion[not pictured]

Step two: Cut up beef and onion and begin cooking

I seasoned with salt, pepper, bacon grease, Worcestershire sauce and minced garlic.
Then cooked a bit slow so it doesnt get tough.

Step three: Boil frozen veggies a bit
 Boil/simmer for 10/15 mins in salt water

Mostly just wanna knock the chill off of em and rehydrate them. So they dont soak all the stock out of your soup and leave you with a goopy mess! But dont completely cook them, so that when you put them in the soup they do soak up some flavor ;) I also put my fresh carrots in there to soften them up a bit.

Step four: Cans, season
While step 3 is boiling, open any canned ingredients and drain. Add tomatoes to cooked beef. Add more seasonings. I used salt, pepper, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of apple cider [vinegar because I was out of balsamic], oregano and basil.
Allow that to heat up.

Step 5: Add veggies

Oh no! Its this full and I haven added my noodles yet!

Add all your canned veggies/beans/peas. Once your frozen/fresh veggies have reached their required done-ness, drain them and add to soup. Taste and season to taste. Return to simmer and continue to simmer through step six, to really get the flavor set in everything.


Step Six: Noodles

Boil noodles til pretty much done. Drain and add to soup.
In my case, this involves adding a second pot, because I made a LOT of soup! ;)

Continue to simmer [or just below a simmer, you dont want to over cook your noodles!!! Just keep it warm enough to incorporate, the flavor into the noodles a bit] through step Seven.


Step Seven: Cornbread/muffins/sticks

 I chose to go with corn muffins.

 Whip up a batch of what ever corn bread you choose [or use crackers or nothing at all ;) ] and get ready to chow down!
Turn off heat to soup[s], fix yourself a bowl of awesomeness!


 I add hot sauce to mine after its cooked because I have a toddler and even though she is a fan of hot stuff, I dont want to over do it! But, Tobasco or Louisiana hot sauce is a must!

She loves to help Mama cook!! She also loves Mama! Can you tell??

 

No comments:

Post a Comment